26 August 2011

What does petite mean to you?

I have a coworker who prefers not to look at petite bloggers b/c they’re petite; which in some regards I consider myself.  However, she ran across a blogger who stated she was petite even though she was a tad bit on the curvy side.  I started thinking did this curvy blogger mean short or was she correct in her description of herself?  Now, I’m 5’2 and my measurements are 33-28-41.  By looking at my hips – petite wouldn’t jump right out at you.  In clothing - Tops: XS, Pants: 6-8, Skirts: 4, Dresses: 4 or XS.  So where do I stand?  In most cases my pants are short or petite and in tops I prefer regular cut vs. petite “I have a long upper- torso.”   In addition, how does weight and body dimensions factor into your description? 

The dictionary says
Petite is: having a small trim figure —usually used of a woman
Short is: having little length

Based on the definitions, my curvy blogger would be short not necessarily petite.   Do you think the fashion industries explanation is accurate or confusing?  Let me know what you think.



Nikki

1 comment:

  1. petite [puh-teet]
    adjective
    1. (of a woman) short and having a small, trim figure; diminutive.
    noun
    2. a category of clothing sized for women or girls of less than average height and with average or diminutive figures.
    3. a garment in such a size: The petites are on that rack.
    4. a woman or girl who wears clothing of such a size.

    Dictionary.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...